Strategy Evaluation Protocol 2021-2027 (pdf), which is formulated and endorsed by the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU), the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences (KNAW) and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). The SEP describes the aims and methods used in order to assess research at Dutch universities as well as at NWO and KNAW institutes every 6 years.
The assessment is carried out by an external independent assessment committee composed of peers. The 3 main assessment criteria are:
- research quality;
- relevance to society;
- ‘viability’ (the extent to which the unit is equipped for the future).
Furthermore, attention is paid to Open Science, PhD Policy and Training, Academic Culture and Human Resources Policy in concert with the main assessment criteria.
The main document that forms the basis for the evaluation is a self-evaluation written by the research unit, in which it reflects on its aims, strategy and achievements during the previous 6 years as well as its aims and strategy for the future. The assessment committee reaches a judgement regarding the research based on a self-assessment, additional documents and interviews which take place during the site visit.
Information about and reports of previous research assessments:
- Download the Midterm review 2016 – 2018 Assessment report (pdf)
- Download the Midterm review 2016-2018 (pdf);
- Download the Strategy Evaluation Protocol 2021-2027 (pdf).
- Download the Research Review ARILS 2009-2015 (pdf);
- Download the Reflection of the board on the Research Review ARILS 2009-2015 (pdf in Dutch);
- Download Align where possible, unique and self-confident where appropriate (pdf), Prof. van Genugten, 2017;
- Download the Standard Evaluation Protocol 2015-2021 (pdf).
- Download Kwaliteit en diversiteit 2003-2008 (pdf in Dutch).